Welcome

Welcome to Ulster Photography www.ulsterphotography.co.uk

Friday 1 July 2011

Annalong Co Down Mini Twelfth Parade

July 1st is a poignant date in Ulster's calendar, it being the anniversary of the Battle of the Somme in 1916. It is traditionally marked by Somme anniversary parades which also mark the commencement of the Twelfth celebrations across the Province.

This year I travelled to the Co Down seaside town of Annalong where in comparison to Belfast a small parade was organised.  I was beginning to think that I had made a mistake as I could have stayed in Belfast and been in position much earlier and with better lighting conditions to take photographs.

However I was in Annalong and so I decided rather than photograph the parade, which was quite small, I would instead concentrate on getting individual shots.  I spotted a young girl who was acting as drum major and clearly enjoying the attention from the crowd watching the parade.  The following series of shots followed.




By adopting this approach other pictures opportunities presented themselves as the following two images illustrate.  The two trainee drum majors taking their duties very seriously!





Out of the 87 photographs taken I have selected the above seven which I feel give a flavour of the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment